Challah!!!!!

Happy Friday!!!! The weekend has finally arrived 😊. I took the day off to travel to see my mom, sister and grandson. My mom and sister said they wanted challah bread. So I did the only thing I could think of...call my Aunt. My Aunt, who is an amazing baker, gave me her secret recipe (yes, that's right, sorry I can't post it). 

I have made bread and rolls from scratch several times but have never attempted challah. I was a little worried because I wasn't in my own kitchen, have never made this type of bread and have never tied bread in knots!! Ok, so here it goes...two hours later we have challah knot rolls!. Wow, that wasn't so bad! They came out sweet and delicious!! The picture below are the rolls I made using my Aunt's recipe. However, the recipe you see is different but uses almost the same ingredients. If you have never baked bread before, you will find this recipe much easier than most bread recipes.

Tips:  One thing to remember when preparing the yeast - make sure the water is not too hot. If it's too hot the heat will kill the yeast and it will not rise. A little secret I learned about yeast is if you leave the spoon or fork you used to mix the yeast, water and sugar in the cup it will rise higher and faster! (I also use rapid rise packaged yeast) 🙂


Challah Rolls
1 c warm water, divided
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 c sugar plus 1 tbsp, divided
4 c flour
3 eggs + 1 egg for wash
1/2 c oil
1 tsp salt

1. Pre heat oven to 350.

2. Place 1/2 c warm water in large coffee mug with yeast and 1 tbsp sugar and stir with fork. Keep fork in mug and let sit for 10 minutes.

3. Add
2 c flour, eggs, sugar, oil, yeast mixture (above) and rest of water.  Mix well.  Add the remaining half of the flour as needed until dough is not sticky. Take dough out and knead on floured surface for about a minute.   

4. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and allow it to rise until doubled in size (about an 1 hour). 
 

5. Punch down dough and divide it into 18 pieces. Roll out each piece into a 6” strand and tie in a knot with the little nub on top.  Let rise again until double.

6. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Argentinian Red Shrimp in a White Wine Garlic Sauce

Chocolatey No Bake Brownies

Low Carb Spicy Sausage and Kale Soup